‘Hero’ Captain Naushad passes away

Share this:


News Desk

Biman Bangladesh Airlines Boeing 737-800 pilot Captain Naushad Ataul Qayyum has passed away (Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhi Raji’un). Earlier, this ‘hero’ was in a coma for more than 48 hours.
Doctors at Kingsway Hospitals in Nagpur, India, opened his life support at 10:45 am local time on Monday, confirmed Mahbubur Rahman, president of the Bangladesh Pilot Association, citing the hospital authorities.

The Boeing 737-800 aircraft of Biman Bangladesh Airlines was arriving in Dhaka with 124 passengers from Muscat, the capital of Oman. While in the air of Raipur, India, Captain Naushad Ataul Qayyum suffered a cardiac arrest. Mostakim, the first officer with him, took control of the cockpit and declared a medical emergency.

The plane landed safely at Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport within 25 minutes of Captain Naushad falling ill. He was then taken off the plane and rushed to the hospital by ambulance.

Captain Naushad Ataul Qayyum of Biman Bangladesh Airlines was taken to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at a hospital in India. He went into a coma due to internal bleeding in the brain. He was undergoing treatment under the supervision of the hospital’s medical services director Dr. Subharjit Dasgupta, Critical Care Physician Dr. Ranjan Barokar and Dr. Virendra Belekar.

Earlier, Biman Bangladesh had informed that the hospital authorities have formed a medical board for his treatment. The medical board kept him under close observation due to bleeding in the brain. After trying for almost three days, the pilot could not be saved. Captain Naushad breathed his last today.

Earlier on Sunday afternoon, the news of Naushad’s death spread on social media. Several unconfirmed sources of Biman immediately confirmed the news of his death. It was later found out that the hospital authorities “did not announce” Naushad’s death.

Although Captain Naushad was “clinically dead”, his relatives were not willing to open life support. They demanded that life support be opened after further examination. The hospital authorities declared Naushad dead after opening his life support on Monday.

Born on October 17, 1977, in Dhaka, Captain Naushad Ataul Qayyum joined Biman Bangladesh Airlines on September 20, 2002, as a pilot.

Share this:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *